Barry and Simone started their location-independent life by accident in 2012. They now split their time moving between Scotland (where they met) and Australia (where she is from) each year, by spending a few months in different locations each time. While they travel, Barry runs several businesses and Simone sometimes works with him, sometimes teaches English, and sometimes temps as an executive assistant.
In This Episode
- Falling into a nomadic lifestyle
- Their experience traveling in the U.S.
- Balancing time “back home” when you’re from different countries
- Unique challenges of being nomadic at 40
- Connecting with locals and keeping up with hobbies
- Working with a distributed team
- Mixing temp work with travel
- The downsides of a nomadic lifestyle and finding your dream
- And much more
Most Memorable Location-Independent Experiences
Tough one, there are too many! Maybe our first trip through Vietnam, or house sitting in Laos for four dogs, or house sitting on a beautiful estate in the Caribbean.
Biggest Surprise along the Way
We learn more and more every week about how to make our lifestyle work for us, so it’s hard to pick out specific surprises.
Every location and country surprises me (Barry) in some way. If I was to pick one overall thing it would be how easy and freeing it is to live minimally for extended periods (at least when the climate is warm!).
Resources We Talked About
- Simone’s blog post about renting a campervan in the U.S.
- Simone’s yoga mat and the one Amy uses, plus Yoga Paws
- Some of the tools Barry uses with his distributed team: Slack, Trello, Zapier
- One of Amy’s fave tools, Boomerang
Barry and Simone’s Links
- HappyPorch.com (Barry’s new business)
- TheTrackAndOffIt.com (Simone’s travel blog)
- Barry on Twitter
- Simone on Twitter
Check Out Our Sponsor
Thanks to Greenback Expat Tax Services for supporting Nomadtopia Radio! For years, Greenback has been helping Amy and lots of other nomads and expats save time and money on their taxes. Contact Greenback to see how they can help you too.
We Need Your Help!
Please take a minute or two to fill out this super-short survey to help us learn more about you and what you’d like to hear on Nomadtopia Radio. Thank you!
Join the Conversation
What ideas or topics resonate with you from this episode? What questions does it raise?
Leave a comment below, or continue the conversation in the Nomadtopia Facebook group.
Subscribe to Nomadtopia Radio for Free
You can also add Nomadtopia Radio to your RSS feed: http://nomadtopiaradio.libsyn.com/rss
Enjoying Nomadtopia Radio?
Please leave a review in iTunes to help more people find the show! (Find out how.)
Support Nomadtopia Radio with a much-appreciated donation:
Or share the episode and help spread the word by clicking on the icons below.