Carina Lyall: Finding freedom in stillness
February 4, 2015 | Podcast, with kids
Carina spent most of her life moving around but now lives in Denmark. Because she’s location independent, she and her family have the freedom to live life as they choose, with fewer rules and more time to spend together.
Note: Some of the language in this episode may not be suitable for work or children!
Most Memorable Location-Independent Experiences
Sitting in England on a hilltop meditating, while I was running one of the biggest courses I have done in my business so far. I remember feeling so lucky.
Biggest Surprise along the Way
How hard it is to be disciplined. I get distracted by interesting things. And on my own, living a lot of my work time online, there is so much to explore. It takes a higher responsibility to unplug.
In this episode
- How location independence has simplified her life
- Falling in love with someone who’s not as nomadic
- Different ways of feeling free
- Feeling rooted no matter where you go
- Working in Bosnia and Kosovo and the challenges of reentry
- How meditation brought her calm and freedom
- Meditation for nomads and restless types
- Focusing on what you gain rather than what you lose
- And much more
Resources we talked about
Note: Links with an asterisk are affiliate links, which means you may receive free credit or another bonus and I may earn a small commission or other benefits if you sign up/purchase using that link. There’s no additional cost to you, of course!
- The Untethered Soul* by Michael A. Singer
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction course developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn
Get the resources and connection you need
Join the nomadtopia™ Collective, a hub of information, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in—the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
Welcome to Nomadtopia®
a hub of resources, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in— the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
The Nomadtopia Collective is a global online community for all nomads — aspiring, newbie, and experienced alike. We’re here to not only help with complicated logistical questions related to nomad life, but also to support you at every step of your journey with a vibrant community of people who understand you, your dreams, and your lifestyle.
Get the Top 10 Logistical Things You Need to do before becoming a nomad
(That Aren't What You Think)