Erin McNeaney: On a Never Ending Voyage
April 6, 2016 | Podcast
Erin sold everything she owned and left the UK in 2010 to travel the world with her partner, Simon. They mix living in one place for a few months with faster periods of travel and have travelled to more than 30 countries with just their carry-on backpacks while running a popular travel blog, Never Ending Voyage, and creating iPhone apps like Trail Wallet.
Most Memorable Location-Independent Experiences
Learning to sail a yacht in the Langkawi islands in Malaysia. We loved it so much that we plan to buy a yacht one day and sail around the South Pacific.
Biggest Surprise along the Way
How little money we need to live an amazing lifestyle. We aren’t very money motivated and have prioritised freedom over income. We don’t earn a huge amount, but we are able to live very comfortably, choose our schedule, and explore the world.
In this episode
- Setting off without a concrete plan to make money
- Building a business on the road
- Choosing freedom over money
- Why it’s important to track your spending while you travel
- Packing light as a digital nomad
- Why Erin prefers traveling with only a carry-on
- And much more
Resources we talked about
Note: Links with an asterisk are affiliate links, which means you may receive free credit or another bonus and I may earn a small commission or other benefits if you sign up/purchase using that link. There’s no additional cost to you, of course!
- Erin’s book The Carry-On Traveller
- Their money-tracking app for iOS, Trail Wallet
- You Need a Budget* (YNAB) budget software
- Eagle Creek Travel Gear Etools Organizer*
- Cocoon Grid-It*
Connect with Erin
Connect with Nomadtopia
Get the Top 10 Logistical Things You Need to do before becoming a nomad
(That Aren't What You Think)