47 Ways to Get One Step Closer to Location Independence
There’s a lot to do to create a lifestyle that allows you to live anywhere in the world. It’s easy to get bogged down and feel like you’ll never get there.
Making any big dream a reality starts with taking small steps. The key is to take action, slowly but surely.
Here are some small steps you can take right away to get you one step closer to your Nomadtopia.
Read through this list and pick one thing that you know you can do today. Some of the suggestions might not apply to your situation, but maybe they’ll remind you of another small step you can take.
- Apply for a passport
- Get rid of at least two articles of clothing
- Sign up for a Skype account
- Bring your lunch
- Make a list of everything you won’t need in Nomadtopia
- Research house-sitting opportunities
- Describe your ideal day in Nomadtopia
- Give away three (or more) books
- Make a list of what you’ll take with you when you hit the road
- Contact a real estate agent about putting your house on the market
- Ask your boss if you can work remotely
- Research new laptops
- Make a list of three places you’d like to go in your Nomadtopia
- Make an extra credit card payment
- Contact three people who might need your services
- Sign up for online banking
- Ask someone you trust if they will take care of mail, etc. while you’re gone
- Create a profile on Couchsurfing.com or Airbnb
- Don’t go shopping after work
- Make a simple home repair you’ve been putting off
- Talk to your partner about your dream
- Call your bank to find out about any fees for using foreign ATMs or making purchases abroad
- Create a dream/vision board of your ideal life
- Check your apartment lease to see if subletting is allowed and confirm when your lease ends
- Connect with people already living their Nomadtopia
- Raise your prices
- Find out if you can get your cell phone unlocked to use abroad
- Research storage units in your area
- Talk to someone who’s living a life you admire
- Buy a domain name for your new online home
- Research international travel with pets
- Start learning a language
- Take photos of your home and create a profile on homeexchange.com
- Call the Salvation Army to come pick up those boxes
- Declutter one drawer in your house
- Make a savings goal
- Talk to your kids about your idea
- Research blue-book prices so you can sell your car
- Place an inspiring photo in your wallet to remind you to save money to reach your dream
- Create a budget
- Start a blog
- Scan your important papers
- Research rental agencies where you can list your home
- Book a short trip to scout out a potential location
- Cancel your cable subscription
- Brainstorm ways you can make money in your Nomadtopia
- Decide what you need to have in place in order to quit your job
Bookmark this page so you can come back to it anytime you get stuck and need new ideas to keep you moving forward!
Get the resources and connection you need
Join the nomadtopia™ Collective, a hub of information, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in—the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
Welcome to Nomadtopia®
a hub of resources, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in— the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
The Nomadtopia Collective is a global online community for all nomads — aspiring, newbie, and experienced alike. We’re here to not only help with complicated logistical questions related to nomad life, but also to support you at every step of your journey with a vibrant community of people who understand you, your dreams, and your lifestyle.