Betsy Wuebker says she and her husband, Pete, are “just your garden variety baby boomer pre-retirees”—but there are at least a few things that make them unique. They’ve been location independent since 2011, and two years ago, they sold everything and moved to Hawaii. In September 2014, they took off again, this time for a two-year round-the-world trip.
In This Episode
- Why they decided to leave paradise and travel for two years
- Packing and preparing for long-term travel
- Why they’re starting their travels in Fiji
- Ins and outs of house-sitting
- Dealing with naysayers
- What their 20-something kids think
- How they fund their lifestyle
- And much more
Update from Betsy
This interview with Amy was recorded right before we left Hawaii to begin our round-the-world trip. We’ve been in Fiji for a couple of months now and we love it! Next up are a couple of house sits in Australia with a side trip to Singapore or New Zealand in between them. So happy to have chosen this life.
Most Memorable Location-Independent Experiences
It really doesn’t get any better than living in paradise, unless it’s all the travel we’ve done. Prior to this trip, which is really our big kahuna, we spent a month traveling through Europe on our way to the Winter Olympics in Sochi. That was the trip of a lifetime (so far).
Biggest Surprise along the Way
We didn’t really prepare for naysayers or less-than-supportive opinions on our decisions. But we’ve come to understand that this is all part of the process.
Resources We Talked About
- Blog post about packing for their trip
- St. Brendan’s Isle (mail forwarding service they use)
- Housesitting resources: Housesitting World Facebook group, TrustedHousesitters.com, Housecarers.com
- Nomadtopia community
- Print-on-demand sites: Café Press, Zazzle, Red Bubble
Join the friendly community in the Nomadtopia Facebook group.
Like the Nomadtopia Facebook page.