Lainie Liberti: Global education through world travel
Lainie Liberti and her nine-year-old son, Miro, left the U.S. in 2009 for what was going to be a one-year adventure—and they’re still going! Continuing their slow travel through Central and South America, they allow inspiration to be their compass. Along the way they’ve taken a global approach to education, using the world as their classroom.
Most Memorable Location-Independent Experiences
There are too many to describe, but we have fond memories of all the incredible people we’ve met along the way.
Biggest Surprise along the Way
That there is no difference between life, travel, and learning.
In this episode
- Embarking on this lifestyle as a single parent
- How Miro became fluent in Spanish without any formal study
- Project-based learning, unschooling, and world schooling defined
- Why and how she and Miro created a unique learning community for kids
- Why the world is a safe place—and she wants everyone to know it
- How travel changed her relationship to money
- And much more
Resources we talked about
Note: Links with an asterisk are affiliate links, which means you may receive free credit or another bonus and I may earn a small commission or other benefits if you sign up/purchase using that link. There’s no additional cost to you, of course!
- Confessions of an Economic Hit Man* by John Perkins
- Lainie couldn’t find the article she referred to in the podcast about Third Culture Kids, but the book Third Culture Kids* was recently recommended to her
- Third Culture Shock (several first-person posts about being a Third Culture Kid)
- “Why Worldschooling and Not Just Unschooling”
- Lainie and Miro’s Reading List and Links to Travel and Unschooling Resources
Connect with Lainie
Connect with Nomadtopia
Get the resources and connection you need
Join the nomadtopia™ Collective, a hub of information, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in—the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
Welcome to Nomadtopia®
a hub of resources, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in— the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
The Nomadtopia Collective is a global online community for all nomads — aspiring, newbie, and experienced alike. We’re here to not only help with complicated logistical questions related to nomad life, but also to support you at every step of your journey with a vibrant community of people who understand you, your dreams, and your lifestyle.