Lorna Li: Entrepreneur for a change
May 20, 2015 | Podcast
A life-changing experience in 2004 in the Brazilian Amazon inspired Lorna to create more freedom in her life. After years of teaching herself everything she needed to know to support herself online, she finally took the plunge into location independence in 2012 and has been traveling ever since.
Note: Some of the language in this episode may not be suitable for work or children!
Most Memorable Location-Independent Experiences
Ranking a client #1 in Google for a highly competitive keyword using a satellite Internet hookup from the last village on the Breu River, in the Kaxinawá territory of Upper Breu in Acre State, during a one-month adventure into the restricted indigenous regions of the Brazilian Amazon as a guest of the tribes.
Biggest Surprise along the Way
Positive: The bare-minimum Internet speed you need to conduct a workable recorded Skype video interview: 2mbps down, 1 up.
Negative: The challenges of being physically apart from your nearest and dearest emotionally intimate friendships.
In this episode
- How she got started online
- Why she used an estate sales company to sell everything
- Starting her digital nomad life in Bali
- Why Internet speed is so important and what to look for
- Running her business while at a plant medicine festival in Brazil
- Tips on finding good team members
- Setting up an online platform for traffic and leads
- Why it’s important to have a mentor (and choose the right one)
- And much more
Resources we talked about
Note: Links with an asterisk are affiliate links, which means you may receive free credit or another bonus and I may earn a small commission or other benefits if you sign up/purchase using that link. There’s no additional cost to you, of course!