Making a Home Abroad with Sara Dyson
June 1, 2022 | Podcast
You never know when a new place might take your breath away. And sometimes, it’s the most unlikely destinations that produce the most profound impacts in our lives. As you’ll hear in today’s episode, even a spur-of-the-moment trip can create a lifelong passion for a place.
In this episode, I’m joined by the founder of Expat in Croatia, Sara Dyson. She shares her story of moving to and falling in love with Croatia, even though it wasn’t her first choice of destination. She explains some of the bureaucratic and logistical challenges of moving to a different country, and we also talk about the impact digital nomads and expats can have on a place and how to be sensitive to these issues.
In this episode
- How Sara turned her childhood dreams of living in Europe into a reality
- How she decided to move to Croatia, even though it wasn’t her first choice
- Why Sara created Expat in Croatia, the resource she wishes she had when she first moved overseas
- Making the leap from employee to entrepreneur
- How Sara has fallen in love with Croatia and made it her home in the past ten years
- Who Croatia is a good fit for, and how most foreigners experience the country
- Types of visas and permits available to people who want to live in Croatia
- How to be sensitive to the impact digital nomads and expats have on a place’s economy and real estate market
Resources we talked about
Note: Links with an asterisk are affiliate links, which means you may receive free credit or another bonus and I may earn a small commission or other benefits if you sign up/purchase using that link. There’s no additional cost to you, of course!