Investing in Turnkey Rental Properties from Anywhere in the World with Matt Bowles
Investing in real estate as a nomad might sound impossible. When you’re traveling all the time, how can you buy a property, fix it up, find renters, and manage it? As it turns out, there is a way, and it doesn’t involve renovations or interviewing potential tenants—or require you to be local to the property.
In today’s episode I’m chatting with Matt Bowles, longtime nomad and cofounder of Maverick Investor Group, which helps people purchase turnkey properties that already have tenants and property managers in place. He shares why these types of properties are such great investments especially if you’re living the nomad lifestyle as well as the benefits of working with a nontraditional brokerage like his and how such an investment can give you consistent passive residual income for years to come.
Matt has run his business from 70+ countries since going nomadic in 2013. His business model gives him flexibility and independence, and now he helps others have the same by building income that supports them as they travel the world. This episode will give you some food for thought on how to approach investment properties in an advantageous (and relatively hands-off) way.
In this episode
- Why Matt wanted to build his own business and how he created more autonomy in his life to travel the world
- How joining Remote Year brought him community as a nomad, and what influences the pace at which he travels from country to country
- Why he loves visiting Africa and his recommendations for nomads interested in exploring the continent
- Everything you need to know about turnkey properties, from what they are to why they’re advantageous
- How Matt’s nontraditional brokerage approach works for buyers, and the income and tax benefits that come with owning rental property
- How this type of real estate investing plays into housing injustice, and how to be a responsible landlord who provides value and a safe space to tenants and the community
Resources we talked about
Note: Links with an asterisk are affiliate links, which means you may receive free credit or another bonus and I may earn a small commission or other benefits if you sign up/purchase using that link. There’s no additional cost to you, of course!