Melissa D. Jones: A Woman with Wanderlust
March 30, 2016 | Podcast
After years of squeezing every minute of travel possible into her vacation time, Melissa loves being her own boss and working from anywhere, which means she doesn’t have to ask for permission or time off to continue exploring. You’ll find her enjoying her home base, Portland, Oregon, when she’s not roaming the globe.
Most Memorable Location-Independent Experiences
Being able to work from the roof of the hotel in Sydney. Sunshine and warm breezes. So nice.
Biggest Surprise along the Way
I have learned that I need to spend longer in a place when I am working and playing so that I get to do both. I don’t like going to a place only to see the inside of the place that I’m staying.
In this episode
- Maximizing vacation days in a regular job
- The challenges of working and traveling at the same time
- The transition to freelance life
- How we deal with unpredictable income
- Her approach to travel hacking
- Solo travel when you’re married
- Photography tips and ways to get photos from your camera to Instagram
- And much more
Resources we talked about
Note: Links with an asterisk are affiliate links, which means you may receive free credit or another bonus and I may earn a small commission or other benefits if you sign up/purchase using that link. There’s no additional cost to you, of course!
- World Domination Summit
- You Need a Budget* (YNAB)
- Travel Hacking Cartel
- Credit cards for travelers: Chase Sapphire, Capital One
- Melissa’s books: 20 Tips for Better Photos and Women with Wanderlust*
- Melissa’s tips for curating your Instagram feed, getting more followers on Instagram, and some general photography tips including the Rule of Thirds