Melissa D. Jones: A Woman with Wanderlust
March 30, 2016 | Podcast
After years of squeezing every minute of travel possible into her vacation time, Melissa loves being her own boss and working from anywhere, which means she doesn’t have to ask for permission or time off to continue exploring. You’ll find her enjoying her home base, Portland, Oregon, when she’s not roaming the globe.
Most Memorable Location-Independent Experiences
Being able to work from the roof of the hotel in Sydney. Sunshine and warm breezes. So nice.
Biggest Surprise along the Way
I have learned that I need to spend longer in a place when I am working and playing so that I get to do both. I don’t like going to a place only to see the inside of the place that I’m staying.
In this episode
- Maximizing vacation days in a regular job
- The challenges of working and traveling at the same time
- The transition to freelance life
- How we deal with unpredictable income
- Her approach to travel hacking
- Solo travel when you’re married
- Photography tips and ways to get photos from your camera to Instagram
- And much more
Resources we talked about
Note: Links with an asterisk are affiliate links, which means you may receive free credit or another bonus and I may earn a small commission or other benefits if you sign up/purchase using that link. There’s no additional cost to you, of course!
- World Domination Summit
- You Need a Budget* (YNAB)
- Travel Hacking Cartel
- Credit cards for travelers: Chase Sapphire, Capital One
- Melissa’s books: 20 Tips for Better Photos and Women with Wanderlust*
- Melissa’s tips for curating your Instagram feed, getting more followers on Instagram, and some general photography tips including the Rule of Thirds
Connect with Melissa
Connect with Nomadtopia
Get the resources and connection you need
Join the nomadtopia™ Collective, a hub of information, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in—the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
Welcome to Nomadtopia®
a hub of resources, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in— the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
The Nomadtopia Collective is a global online community for all nomads — aspiring, newbie, and experienced alike. We’re here to not only help with complicated logistical questions related to nomad life, but also to support you at every step of your journey with a vibrant community of people who understand you, your dreams, and your lifestyle.
Get the Top 10 Logistical Things You Need to do before becoming a nomad
(That Aren't What You Think)