Viv Egan: Location-Independent Expat
February 7, 2018 | Podcast
Originally from Australia, freelance writer Viv is now based in London with her English partner. We talked about choosing to have a home base, managing Airbnb rentals, how we get clients, and lots more.
In this episode
- Choosing to have a home base
- Being an Airbnb host
- Our struggles to find subcontractors
- Tips for getting clients as a freelancer
- Creating a platform for digital nomad women’s voices and concerns
- And so much more
Resources we talked about
Note: Links with an asterisk are affiliate links, which means you may receive free credit or another bonus and I may earn a small commission or other benefits if you sign up/purchase using that link. There’s no additional cost to you, of course!
- 7in7 conference for nomads
- Airsorted rental manager
- Nomadtopia Radio interview with Viv’s podcast co-host, Kit Whelan, and her partner Nick
- The 4-Hour Work Week* by Tim Ferriss
- Nomadtopia Radio interview with father of six kids
- Nomadtopia Radio mini solo episode
Viv’s list of ways she’s found freelance writing clients:
- Through Facebook groups (tip: I’ve never had much luck with the larger ones with thousands of members)
- Through friends (chatting about being a freelancer at a party)
- Through former colleagues
- Cold emailing people in my niche and asking them if they were looking for someone to look after their blog
- Contacting people through LinkedIn to ask if they ever take on freelancers (startup type companies are great for this)
- Signing up for a paid jobs board (Rachel’s List)
- Typing variations of “we’re always looking for talented freelancers” into Google, which often leads to agencies (speaking of which, if anyone with content/SEO/PPC skills are happy to do agency work, get in touch with Viv and she will refer you; they’re always looking for people, especially those with languages other than English)
Connect with Viv
Connect with Nomadtopia
Get the resources and connection you need
Join the nomadtopia™ Collective, a hub of information, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in—the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
Welcome to Nomadtopia™
a hub of resources, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in— the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
The Nomadtopia Collective is a global online community for all nomads — aspiring, newbie, and experienced alike. We’re here to not only help with complicated logistical questions related to nomad life, but also to support you at every step of your journey with a vibrant community of people who understand you, your dreams, and your lifestyle.