Amy Truong: Collecting Moments and Experiences
April 13, 2016 | Podcast
Amy has found a way to make her love for travel a lifestyle by running a travel blog and a travel planning service while keeping a full-time remote job. She has been to more than 22 countries, mostly traveling solo, and is considering setting up a base in Hawaii.
Note: Some of the language in this episode may not be suitable for work or children!
Most Memorable Location-Independent Experiences
Climbing 50 stories up an abandoned skyscraper in Bangkok. Dancing at sunrise on a boat sailing towards the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
Biggest Surprise along the Way
Positive: How awesome people are when you’re lost or need help
Negative: Loneliness and isolation at times when you’re in a place without a wide social circle/network of friends or other nomads
In this episode
- How she started working remotely
- Her routines for getting things done and also exploring her surroundings
- Tips for staying safe as a woman traveling alone
- Travel planning tips for nomads
- How she handles feeling lonely on the road
- Dealing with a broken wrist
- And much more
Resources we talked about
Note: Links with an asterisk are affiliate links, which means you may receive free credit or another bonus and I may earn a small commission or other benefits if you sign up/purchase using that link. There’s no additional cost to you, of course!
- Travel planning: TheFlightDeal.com, Skyscanner.net
- Videoconferencing: Blue Jeans, Zoom
- Atom text editor
- Nomad networking: Nomad Trips, FindANomad.com, Hashtag Nomads, Meetup.com, Bumble BFF, Couchsurfing
- Nomad events: DNX conference, Nomad Cruise, Hacker Paradise, Nomadtopia LIVE in Mexico
- eBags Packing Cubes*
Connect with Nomadtopia
Get the resources and connection you need
Join the nomadtopia™ Collective, a hub of information, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in—the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
Welcome to Nomadtopia®
a hub of resources, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in— the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
The Nomadtopia Collective is a global online community for all nomads — aspiring, newbie, and experienced alike. We’re here to not only help with complicated logistical questions related to nomad life, but also to support you at every step of your journey with a vibrant community of people who understand you, your dreams, and your lifestyle.
Get the Top 10 Logistical Things You Need to do before becoming a nomad
(That Aren't What You Think)