Jayme and John: Rural Van Life in the U.S.
April 3, 2019 | Podcast, with pets
Since 2017, Jayme and John (and their two dogs) have been living in a 1996 Chevy Express van, which they built out themselves for full-time living. They enjoy spending time in rural areas of the U.S. where the dogs can roam free and they can spend time on work or personal projects.
In this episode
- Tools for finding campsites and getting online
- Tips on building out a van for full-time living
- Making changes to create the life they wanted
- What they wish they’d known before they started
- Domiciles, insurance, and other logistics
- And so much more
Resources we talked about
Note: Links with an asterisk are affiliate links, which means you may receive free credit or another bonus and I may earn a small commission or other benefits if you sign up/purchase using that link. There’s no additional cost to you, of course!
- Finding places to camp: FreeCampsites.net, All Stays app (iOS only)
- Getting online: Open Signal app, WeBoost cell phone booster*
- Mail forwarding services: Your Best Address, Escapees, Traveling Mailbox*
- Insurance (with coverage in all 50 states): National General, United Healthcare
Connect with Jayme and John
Connect with Nomadtopia
Get the resources and connection you need
Join the nomadtopia™ Collective, a hub of information, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in—the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
Welcome to Nomadtopia®
a hub of resources, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in— the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
The Nomadtopia Collective is a global online community for all nomads — aspiring, newbie, and experienced alike. We’re here to not only help with complicated logistical questions related to nomad life, but also to support you at every step of your journey with a vibrant community of people who understand you, your dreams, and your lifestyle.
Get the Top 10 Logistical Things You Need to do before becoming a nomad
(That Aren't What You Think)