Amy Scott: Founder of Nomadtopia
January 6, 2016 | Podcast
As the host of Nomadtopia Radio, I’m busy interviewing lots of other nomads and I don’t often have the chance to share more of my own background and experiences. So to celebrate Episode 60 of the podcast and the first of 2016, I invited my friend Jill Sessa (whom I interviewed in December 2014) to come on the show to turn the tables and interview me. Jill did an amazing job digging into the back story of how my own Nomadtopia came into being back in 2004, my early days as a freelancer, meeting my husband in Argentina, how we travel together, the pressure I sometimes feel to fit a certain profile or image as a nomad, and so much more.
Note: Some of the language in this episode may not be suitable for work or children!
Most Memorable Location-Independent Experiences
Meeting my husband! In 2009 I was just starting to get antsy in Buenos Aires and was thinking about moving on, when I went out salsa dancing with friends and met Roberto. I decided to stay put to see how things went. We got married in 2012 and have been on the road ever since.
Biggest Surprise along the Way
That location independence has become such a big thing. I guess I knew that telecommuting and the like was becoming more popular, but I didn’t expect it to turn into the movement that it has. On a more personal note, I’ve been pleasantly surprised that my husband and I are able to spend pretty much all day every day together without getting tired of each other.
In this episode
- Being away from home for the holidays
- Traveling as a couple with separate businesses
- Transitioning into location independence in 2004
- Why I hid my nomadic ways from clients when I first started freelancing
- Moving to Argentina, buying property, and meeting my husband
- Taking a more cautious approach to big changes (and why I started Nomadtopia)
- The different products and services I offer through Nomadtopia
- What I’ve learned from the pressure I sometimes feel to fit a certain image as a nomad
- And so much more
Resources we talked about
Note: Links with an asterisk are affiliate links, which means you may receive free credit or another bonus and I may earn a small commission or other benefits if you sign up/purchase using that link. There’s no additional cost to you, of course!
- My RTW trip blog (Jill says I still glossed over my round-the-world trip too much in our conversation, so you can read more about it here)
- Nomadtopia coaching [now only available to members of the Nomadtopia Collective]
- Destination: Nomadtopia
- Work-from-Anywhere Test Drive [now available to members of the Nomadtopia Collective]
- Written interview with Amy and Roberto
Connect with Nomadtopia
Get the Top 10 Logistical Things You Need to do before becoming a nomad
(That Aren't What You Think)