As the host of Nomadtopia Radio, I’m busy interviewing lots of other nomads and I don’t often have the chance to share more of my own background and experiences. So to celebrate Episode 60 of the podcast and the first of 2016, I invited my friend Jill Sessa (whom I interviewed in December 2014) to come on the show to turn the tables and interview me. Jill did an amazing job digging into the back story of how my own Nomadtopia came into being back in 2004, my early days as a freelancer, meeting my husband in Argentina, how we travel together, the pressure I sometimes feel to fit a certain profile or image as a nomad, and so much more.
Note: Some of the language in this episode may not be suitable for work or children!
In This Episode
- Being away from home for the holidays
- Traveling as a couple with separate businesses
- Transitioning into location independence in 2004
- Why I hid my nomadic ways from clients when I first started freelancing
- Moving to Argentina, buying property, and meeting my husband
- Taking a more cautious approach to big changes (and why I started Nomadtopia)
- The different products and services I offer through Nomadtopia
- What I’ve learned from the pressure I sometimes feel to fit a certain image as a nomad
- And so much more
Most Memorable Location-Independent Experiences
Meeting my husband! In 2009 I was just starting to get antsy in Buenos Aires and was thinking about moving on, when I went out salsa dancing with friends and met Roberto. I decided to stay put to see how things went. We got married in 2012 and have been on the road ever since.
Biggest Surprise along the Way
That location independence has become such a big thing. I guess I knew that telecommuting and the like was becoming more popular, but I didn’t expect it to turn into the movement that it has. On a more personal note, I’ve been pleasantly surprised that my husband and I are able to spend pretty much all day every day together without getting tired of each other.
Resources I Talked About
- My RTW trip blog (Jill says I still glossed over my round-the-world trip too much in our conversation, so you can read more about it here)
- Nomadtopia coaching
- Nomadtopia Facebook group
- Destination: Nomadtopia
- Work-from-Anywhere Test Drive
- Nomadtopia on Facebook
- Nomad Editorial on Facebook
- Written interview with Amy and Roberto
Join the Conversation!
What ideas or topics resonate with you from this episode? What questions does it raise?
Leave a comment below, or continue the conversation in the Nomadtopia Facebook group.
Subscribe to Nomadtopia Radio for Free
You can also add Nomadtopia Radio to your RSS feed: http://nomadtopiaradio.libsyn.com/rss
Enjoying Nomadtopia Radio?
Please leave a review in iTunes to help more people find the show! (Find out how.)
Support Nomadtopia Radio with a much-appreciated donation:
Or share the episode and help spread the word by clicking on the icons below.