Navigating Grief and Loss with Charlene Lam
August 3, 2022 | Podcast
Nomads can experience grief in many forms: grief for the places we’ve loved and left, grief for saying goodbye to the friends we meet during our travels, and of course grief for those we lose to death. Losing a loved one is always life changing, but it can be especially difficult for those of us living and traveling oceans away from home.
In this episode, I’m joined by Charlene Lam, grief coach and founder of The Grief Gallery, who came into this work after losing her mom while she was abroad. She explains how grief can be a unique experience for nomads, but also how grief feels different for everyone. Charlene also shares her advice for creating a plan in case a family member dies or has a medical emergency while you’re away.
In this episode
- Why Charlene loves the unique combination of stability and flexibility in her nomad life
- How she created a career in grief work after losing her mother suddenly
- Navigating the emotional challenges that come with living far from your loved ones
- Why it’s important to have conversations about loss before it happens
- How to create a plan in case a loved one dies or needs medical care while you’re away
- How to stay connected with family from anywhere
- Creating a support network of people back home to help in case of emergencies
- How different people process grief, and respecting how you process grief
- Where to find help and resources if you’re experiencing grief
Resources we talked about
Note: Links with an asterisk are affiliate links, which means you may receive free credit or another bonus and I may earn a small commission or other benefits if you sign up/purchase using that link. There’s no additional cost to you, of course!
Connect with Charlene
Connect with Nomadtopia
Get the resources and connection you need
Join the nomadtopia™ Collective, a hub of information, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in—the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
Welcome to Nomadtopia™
a hub of resources, inspiration, and community for building—and thriving in— the location-independent lifestyle that's right for you.
The Nomadtopia Collective is a global online community for all nomads — aspiring, newbie, and experienced alike. We’re here to not only help with complicated logistical questions related to nomad life, but also to support you at every step of your journey with a vibrant community of people who understand you, your dreams, and your lifestyle.